Re: Time sensitive request - needed today! Fowler, Lisa 05 Feb 2016 20:15 UTC

100% of FT staff have a sick time benefit.  That said, many of our field staff are part-time.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 5, 2016, at 1:42 PM, Kathy Messerli <kmesserli@mnhomecare.org<mailto:kmesserli@mnhomecare.org>> wrote:

Please note the email update below regarding the sick leave initiative in the City of Minneapolis. I have altered my schedule for Monday morning and will plan to go to the next meeting. What I need from you today is this - what percent of your employees receive sick leave? It will be helpful for me to have some sense of this when I go to the meeting.

Please note that as written today, this proposal would impact all employees who go to care for a client in Minneapolis and work at least 80 hours per year. This is not a typo - yes, it is 80 hours per year!

The city of St. Paul is considering something similar and I anticipate  this could spread beyond, if it's successful.

The meeting is first thing Monday morning so I would appreciate receiving responses today - your help is needed with this issue! if you have an interest in joining me for a meeting at 7:30 Monday morning please let me know.

Thanks!!

Kathy Messerli

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kari Thurlow <kthurlow@leadingagemn.org<mailto:kthurlow@leadingagemn.org>>
Date: February 5, 2016 at 11:56:40 AM CST
To: "kmesserli@mnhomecare.org<mailto:kmesserli@mnhomecare.org>" <kmesserli@mnhomecare.org<mailto:kmesserli@mnhomecare.org>>
Cc: "KGoodno@fredlaw.com<mailto:KGoodno@fredlaw.com>" <KGoodno@fredlaw.com<mailto:KGoodno@fredlaw.com>>, "Simons, Anni" <ASimons@fredlaw.com<mailto:ASimons@fredlaw.com>>
Subject: follow up to your VM messages

Kathy:

I received your voicemail messages with regard to the Minneapolis sick leave issue, but it sounds as though our schedules will not be compatible to talk in real time.  I thought I would send you an email with the information I have and you can take it from there.

As you know, the City of Minneapolis appointed a Workplace Partnership to:

  *   Study the impact of policy proposals related to workplace regulations on earned sick time and paid time off, including consideration of regional and cross-jurisdictional implications of such policy proposals.
  *   Engage the community in the development of its recommended policy proposals through focus groups, listening sessions, and similar practices and may consult subject-matter experts in the course of its study.
  *   Report its final policy proposals on earned sick time and paid time off to the Committee of the Whole by no later than February 24, 2016.
For information about the Partnership, and its activities, you can visit the following website:  http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/workplacepartnership/index.htm.

The most important thing to note is that the Partnership is in the process of making decisions that will make up its final policy recommendations to the City Council.  I have attached a PDF file that has the latest detailed policy decision outline draft, which was handed out at the January 25th meeting.  On February 1st, the Partnership began making recommendations and reaching consensus on certain points.  Below are a couple of the key points agreed to at that meeting:

o   If you work in the City of Minneapolis (regardless of where your employer is located) at least 80 hours in a year for one employer, you will have access to earned/paid sick time

o   If you already have a paid time off program that meets the threshold set in the ordinance you should be in compliance

·        They are trying to make decisions one at a time but they appear to recognize that they may need to go back and revisit various decision points as the package comes together. For example, some members who agreed to the 80 hour threshold today may be more/less comfortable with that number based on what the decisions are regarding accrual or usage.

·        Ordinance should apply to employees working in Minneapolis, regardless of where their employer is located

·        Rather than exempt salaried/exempt workers from ordinance, ordinance should apply to all but those employers with paid leave programs that meet the one set out in the ordinance will be deemed in compliance (aka those employers will not have to make changes to their programs)

o   Have not yet addressed HOW those employers will prove compliance. Assume this will not be simple to do without being overly burdensome.

In speaking to two of the Partnership members, I do not sense that they have heard from the Home Care providers or PCAs, and do not have an understanding of how this may affect you members.  As you can see, this will impact both members located in Minneapolis and outside Minneapolis, but serving Minneapolis residents. The LTCI has collected and shared data with the Partnership as it relates to nursing homes, assisted living settings and adult day, and our story is that largely our members offer sick leave.  This is also what the rest of the health care providers are saying.  I am not sure if the same can be said for your members.

Because our members do offer benefits, we have largely been focused on casual/on call employees (trying to get an exemption for this group of employees), educating the Partnership and the Council about the financial constraints our members face, and also administrative issues.

I am not sure if this is a big deal for your members or not.  If you are interested in submitting comments, there is a “give feedback” link on the partnership website.

You may also want to pay attention to the effort that was just kicked off by the City of St. Paul.  They will likely be modeling an effort after the Minneapolis model.  Also, the state Senate will be taking up the issue.

Copying Kevin and Anni on this so they can advise you from here.

Kari Thurlow, J.D. | Senior Vice President of Advocacy| LeadingAge Minnesota |
2550 University Avenue West, Suite 350 South, Saint Paul, MN 55114
651.603.3512 | LeadingAgeMN.org<http://www.leadingagemn.org/> | kthurlow@LeadingAgeMN.org<mailto:kthurlow@LeadingAgeMN.org>
<image002.jpg>
   <https://www.facebook.com/LeadingAgeMN>
<image004.jpg>
<https://www.facebook.com/LeadingAgeMN><https://twitter.com/LeadingAgeMN>
<image006.jpg>
<https://twitter.com/LeadingAgeMN><http://www.youtube.com/user/LeadingAgeMN>
<image008.jpg>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/LeadingAgeMN>

<Mpls sick leave mtg docs Jan 25.pdf>

[Compassion, Excellence, Reliability]<http://bhhc.co/BAYemail_site>

[Facebook]<http://bhhc.co/BAYemail_fb> [Twitter] <http://bhhc.co/BAYemail_tw>  [LinkedIn] <http://bhhc.co/BAYemail_LI>  [YouTube] <http://bhhc.co/BAYemail_yt>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain information belonging to BAYADA and is protected by law. Do not forward, copy, or otherwise disclose to anyone unless permitted by BAYADA or required by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately.